Microcastle

Sunday, November 9, 2008 | |



Animals. My apartment and band names seem to be full of them lately. After reading an interview with Bradford Cox, the lead singer of Deerhunter, I decided to give this band a second chance. Deerhunter's 2007 release Cryptograms received wild reviews but somehow still seemed like noise to me. So on yet another morning commute I set out onto Brooklyn's mass transit system to once again pass or fail on Deerhunter.


A strange affected intro, and the second track hit me like a ton of feathers. This is not the noise-rock indie band I had constructed in my head. I was hooked instantly. Microcastle has been on repeat about 5 or 6 times this week. Tracks on this album seem to be much more concise and planned out, which for this band I prefer. The previously mentioned article likened them to the Strokes, which is evident at times but there's definitely a more laid back vibe here. My favorites so far are Agoraphobia and Nothing Ever Happened.






Deerhunter

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I absolutely agree. I love "Agoraphobia," it is hands-down my favorite track. Microcastle is so pleasantly melodic and beautiful that at times you don't realize that you're listening Deerhunter. Deerhunter - noise = Deerhunter?? Madness. The first time I heard "Agoraphobia," I thought I was listening to Atlas Sound. I've always said that I love Atlas Sound, but not Deerhunter. I guess I'm rethinking that one...

paul said...

A ton of feathers?

individually soft and light but connectively heavy, and damaging ?

That is quite the strange statement.

Mp3 Player

Archive