The line between this world and, and what? Without knowing the line becomes both exhilarating and terrifying.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 | |

When you walk in the countryside, you may encounter substantial masses in your path. These are mountains, and sooner or later you'll have to bend your knee to them. Resisting will do no good. You could go no further, even if you were to hurt yourself. I do not say this in order to wound. I could say other things if I really wanted to wound. 





How You Do Anything Is How You Do Everything - Britney Spears 


I got pink climbing tights for the trip. They taught me two things. For one, climbing in tights feels great and everybody compliments you (probably sarcastically). Secondly, you do not have to go far beyond a social norm to be treated as the other: on the drive back we stopped at 2am at a gas station in Eastern Oregon that was just filling up with hunters preparing for whatever they do. When I went to the bathroom (still being in pink tights) this guy says to me, “what the fuck, I thought you are a woman?!”, to which I reply, “because I am wearing pink pants?”. His reaction is to yell at me “what the fuck is wrong with you”. At this point I got a little scared and fled the bathroom. While this experience is pretty insignificant in terms of actual discrimination others experience, it taught me something about how fast a presumably safe space can become a hostile environment.

0 comments:

Mp3 Player

Archive