Made to Break: Technology and Obsolescence in America

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 | |


I can specifically remember when I first learned the term "planned obsolescence." I was in 10th grade in History class, and it was with Mr. Wright. The idea of it must have been in my mind because it is one of few things that I remember from that class. (The others being the real definition of terrorism, and getting a bad grade on this wonderful rhyming paper I handed in.)

I have always hated the idea and have been disgusted that weaknesses are built into our system of building things.

I think this will be one of the next books I read, and it's called "Made to Break: Technology and Obsolescence in America" if you couldn't tell from the title, and it's by Giles Slade over at MIT. I'll let you know how goes it when I am finished with it, that is, if the book doesn't fall apart before I'm done.

Here is an audio interview on the author talking about the book.

0 comments:

Mp3 Player

Archive